ICBC Autoplan

auto-thumbICBC Basic auto insurance ensures that you and those who own and operate a motor vehicle in BC are protected with a basic level of coverage. In British Columbia, you are required to carry a minimum of $200,000 in Third Party Liability coverage.

Third Party Liability protects you in the event you are found 25% or more at-fault in a crash and another motorist makes a claim against you. Your Basic Autoplan covers up to $200,000 for their injury costs and vehicle damage.

Many people in BC choose to extend their Third Party Liability coverage for added protection. For passenger vehicles you can select an increase of up to $5,000,000.

Accident Benefits

Accident Benefits protect you, your passengers and members of your household with medical costs, loss of wages, and more if you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident, even if you are found at-fault. Accident benefits provides up to $150,000 in medical and rehabilitation costs. This could include expenses such as hospital care, chiropractic treatments, dental care, medication, physiotherapy, medical equipment and more.

Underinsured motorist protection:

Even if the person who’s responsible for a crash doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for your claim, you’re protected. It covers:

  • You and members of your household when you own or lease a vehicle.
  • A crash or death if any of these people are injured or killed in a motor vehicle as a driver, passenger, or as a pedestrian or cyclist.
  • Claims of up to $1 million per person.
    Many people choose to buy Excess Underinsured Motorist Protections for only $25/year to increase that protection to $2 million.
  • Hit & Run

    This protection for you and your vehicle is available to every B.C. resident, even if you don’t own or insure a vehicle. If you’re eligible, the $200,000 coverage applies to damage, injuries or death.

    Inverse Liability Coverage

    This protects you in parts of Canada or the U.S. where local laws don’t let you claim against the person who caused your crash. Your vehicle repair costs are covered up to 100 per cent (less if you were partly at fault for the crash). For example, if you were 25 per cent at fault, you’ll receive 75 per cent of the cost of repairing your car.

    What could affect your Basic Autoplan coverage

    Here are some things you can do to help ensure your coverage stays valid:

    • Your vehicle must be rated correctly. It’s important that you tell your broker how you use your vehicle (that is, your rate class), and who will be driving it the majority of the time.
    • If you have a claim, provide correct information.
    • Never drive if your driver’s licence is expired or suspended, and make sure that anyone who drives your vehicle has a valid driver’s licence.
    • Don’t drive when you’re impaired by alcohol or drugs.
    • Be aware your Basic Autoplan insurance only covers you in Canada and the U.S.

    Importing a Vehicle to BC

    Whether you are moving to BC from out of province, or purchasing a vehicle from the United States, Irwin & Billings is here to help.

    If you are a BC resident who will be bringing a vehicle from out of province into BC, please contact us for more information in obtaining a binder of insurance so the vehicle is covered while you drive to BC.

    When importing a vehicle from the United States, the following documents will be required to bring to our office.

    • Vehicle Import Form 1 with two stamps from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
    • CBSA document B15, or B3 or B4
    • the vehicle’s original Certificate of Title or Certificate of Origin
    • the original bill of sale, and
    • a “passed” inspection report, signed by the inspector, from a designated inspection facility. (Not required for motorcycles or trailers)

    Please also bring the vehicle to our office as we will need to verify the VIN number.

    When importing a vehicle to BC from another province in Canada, the following documents will be required to bring to our office:

    • The Vehicle’s Original Certificate of Title or Certificate of Origin
    • A passed inspection report, signed by the inspector, from a designated inspection facility (not required for motorcycles or trailers)

    For more detailed information on importing vehicles into BC, please follow the link to the ICBC website.

    Collector Vehicle Information

    If you have a vehicle that is older than 15 years, in great condition, and is not your primary vehicle, you may be eligible for Collector Status.

    To qualify, your vehicle must be:

    • at least 25 years old, or
    • at least 15 years old and of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year
    • at least 15 years old, where the manufacturer that owns the “trademark” or “make” of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years, or
    • registered as a 1958 or earlier model with a vehicle status of “altered” (has had one or more major components replaced).​

    Follow the link for further information, and to fill out an application online.

    Comments are closed.